Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week 8 (10/24/2010 - 10/30/2010)

Ok, we have a small issue here, but not too big of one- you see, I can't exactly remember what I did during this week. By looking at some of my drawings, I can get a pretty good idea, but I'm still not positive, so I'm just going to take all the drawings that I did during weeks 8 - 9 and just lump them all together in the week 9 post. Here, on the other hand, I'm going to do what I did with my week 11 post and comment on other artists who already have the skills that I desperately desire...

DISCLAIMER: 
I HAD NO PART IN MAKING ANY OF THE DRAWING(S) 
INCLUDED WITHIN THIS POST

 This lovely little gem is the creation of South Korean artist Kyoung Hwan Kim, who goes by the name tahra on deviantART. It has a simple title,"Illustration", but good lord is this thing beyond simple. I might as well get it out of the way now before I go any further, but yes, the girl in the picture is cute and has a considerable bust, both of which are alluring, but this work is definitely not riding on those features alone. One primary aspect of tahra's drawing technique that really sucks me in is the subtle line work he uses; if you look closely, the shading and form-shaping lines that he uses during the sketching/drawing phase largely remain behind after the digital painting phase. Far from accidental, its these lines that give the whole piece a unique texture with its own weight and grit. I love it! I won't even go into his use of color, since that would take me forever, but I have to at least touch on his knowledge of human form, which is especially prevalent in the girl's elbows and hands, but I feel I need another image to really explain what I'm getting at...


Yea, check this thing out. This one's just called "kick", and boy is it ever! Obviously, the subject has been drawn stylistically and exaggerated, but her motion and anatomical form are still completely believable. I guess it's true what they say, "you have to learn the rules before you can break them" otherwise you won't be able to fudge them anywhere near as good as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment