Sunday, December 19, 2010

Semester Review (Final Post)

   Well, ladies and gentlemen, here we are at last- the end of the Fall 2010 semester. Man oh man, these months went by quick. I'd like to try and pull something deep and philosophical out of my ass to make this post sound meaningful, but as is the nature of a procrastinator, I am on yet another all-nighter and can't seem to think quite as clearly as I want. Therefore, without further ado, let's skip the introductions and get this thing rollin'!

 Oh, where to start? Well, I guess a good place would be a comparison of me when I started this class to me now. I'll definitely admit that I have learned a considerable amount about human figure drawing, which is awesome on a personal level, since all throughout high school (and even somewhat before that), I've wanted to learn how to draw people better. I tried teaching myself and got okay at it, but I wanted more skill, skill that could only come from an actual life drawing class, and now here I am. My first life drawing class under my belt, and I can honestly say.... that I'm still nowhere near where I want to be, but hey, what did I expect, right? At the very least, I now feel more comfortable with new drawing techniques and am substantially more patient when it comes to longer drawings. I've learned how to better resist the temptation to make every line perfect and can appreciate what drawing simple gestures can teach me. I understand forms better than I ever have and now know the huge rewards of using subtle line variation to express those forms. I am a better artist overall for having taken Life Drawing I, but there's still a ridiculous amount of room for improvement. This has been a major and much wanted step in the right direction for me, and I don't see any reason whatsoever to stop now.


 On a side note, I'd like to show you my final drawing of the semester, Shell 4. Although, I think the name sHELL would be more appropriate. You see, after having been gypped out of my brick red ink during the last shell (thanks to some massive, idiotic packaging error) I was hell-bent this time around to get some red.... and create some fricking havoc with it. The gore fest of a drawing you see here is what happens when you mix carmine with just a tiny little bit of black and lay ink to page while recalling the bloodiest scenes of a number of slasher flicks. Beautiful, isn't it? (^  -  ^)

 By the way, here's the link to my Flickr account...

1 comment:

  1. I really like that you "attacked" the canvas with the bold red and let it drip and create an atmosphere of it's own. It seems you had fun with this shell drawing! I only wish I could see more of your linework show through, especially the bottom lip of the shell which is so beautiful. I always love your shells! Good job!

    ReplyDelete