Sunday, December 5, 2010

Week 2 (9/12/2010 - 9/18/2010)

   More make up! Since the week 3 post is going to cover all the drawings I've done from weeks 2 and 3, I'll use this post to show you fine ladies and gentlemen, yet again, what kinds of artistic skills I want to hone. If, after this post, you still haven't figured out that I like anime/manga and the drawing styles they entail, then please to go and earn yourself a nice, shiny Darwin Award. Thank you from all of us.

DISCLAIMER: 
I HAD NO PART IN MAKING ANY OF THE DRAWING(S) 
INCLUDED WITHIN THIS POST


   This time around, I'm looking at the fine work of Japanese deviantARTist ALF874. The above work is titled "a half-beast girl" and wins my seal of approval on so many levels. I mean, come on- its a super strong, cat-like female whose holding a pile of what are probably tank scraps above her head with her right hand and carrying a monstrous Gatling gun, ammo drum included, in her left hand! This thing just drips cool! 
 What I want to talk about specifically, in relation to Life Drawing, is ALF874's knowledge of musculature. Almost every female he draws has significantly well-defined muscles like the half- beast girl here, and the best part is that they always feel appropriate, never to bulky or out of control, probably because a large number of the girls he draws are anthropomorphic beasts/demons like this one.


   Titled "waterfall", this is definitely one of my favorites of ALF874's works. The origin of the tail was placed a little high, in my opinion, but everything else works out great. Again we see extensive use of musculature, even on such a slender frame as hers (that's beast chicks for ya). My favorite part, though, has to be the tattooing. The designs have a wild, arcane feeling to them and perfectly accent the subject's obvious ferality. I've actually designed a character myself who has similar tattoos covering her entire body. After seeing these, however, I can tell there's quite a bit I still could afford to learn.

1 comment: