Sunday, December 5, 2010

Week 3 (9/19/2010 - 9/25/2010)

    Well, here it is- the post to end all posts... in terms of the number of drawings that are in it. Herein lies a motherload of 10 drawings of whose exact dates of creation I am uncertain, but they need a place in the blog, so here they shall be posted for all to see throughout eternity. Let's get started!

   Wow. Come to think of it, this one might have actually been made during the first week. Notice the lack of spine? Yea, that wasn't really tolerated after, at most, the second week. I'm clearly focusing on the details too much despite the short time limits granted each pose, plus I remember, after a short while, I started fitting multiple poses into a single square to maximize space. It's interesting to see how far I've come in only a few months.


   And yet another early gesture drawing... This one's kind of strange, though- I recognize how primitive it is in terms of the technique I used to create it, but for some reason I can't bring myself to not like it. The amorphous forms seem less like mistakes and more like intentional stylization, even though they are, in reality, the former. My favorite has got to be the one in the top-left, I guess because it looks the most accurate. You'll notice the line through the bottom-right, which was a half-assed attempt at using a proportion aid.


   Here we go- now we start seeing the spine, but we're still not to the ribcage yet. I'm particularly drawn (pun possibly intended) to both poses on the right half of the paper. They're extremely exaggerated, like they should be, and just feel alive to me, capturing not necessarily the exact image of the flesh but the nature of the flesh.


   While mostly bereft of content, this piece contains, virtually, my first attempt at purposely creating variation in my lines, which you can see on the left side of the page. The incomplete figure is mostly accurate, too. The faceless head really feels like it's turning toward you, thanks to the creases in the neck and the edge of the jaw and ear.


   My only reason for even choosing to save this drawing in digital format might be the pose in the bottom-right. There's nothing else on the page that appeals to me, but it's obvious that this was me in my transition from no-base to spines.


   This is another "transition to spines" piece, in which I also started experimenting with stick limbs. I even tried using some pseudo rib cages. I'm not sure why I really like this one; probably something to do with the largest, center figure.

  
    Hmm... Ok, there's a small problem with these two- I didn't start doing contour drawings until the 4th week, and I'm almost positive that these were done on the same day, so I really have no idea where they came from. ...meh, s'all the same to me. I like the top one for the contours, but it doesn't have the size of the bottom one. They both have nice line variation and use of shape and form, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment